& Private Coaching
I provide private [evening] coaching within Edinburgh & the Lothians area on two levels (a) Complete Beginner in researching your own family and (b) Delving Deeper in Genealogy. Coaching is on an hourly rate of £24. The coaching includes homework exercises and is tailored to each client. Please get in touch to discuss individual requirements.
Morning/Afternoon Coaching within the ScotlandsPeople Centre and/or the Historical Search Room at the National Library of Scotland can be arranged. Please get in touch to discuss individual requirements.
Research Plans can be prepared for clients wishing to carry out their research but need a plan to maximise their time whilst in Edinburgh. These are a step by step process that assist clients in navigating around the indexes and documents within the collections of the National Records of Scotland. Documents are pre-booked to coincide with the client’s visit. These plans can help maximise the effectiveness of a client’s visit. Many clients from abroad have found these very useful.
I am currently available as a tutor. Each course can be tailored to the groups requirements, experience or ability. If you are interested in running a class please get in touch and discuss your requirements. I do not currently hold a teaching certificate at present.
Topics will include all or any combination of the following:
- Old Parish Registers from 1553 to 1854
- Statutory Records from 1855 to present
- Kirk Session & Heritor Records
- Identifying Record Depositories in Scotland (SPC, NRS, NLS, SP)
- Poor Law Records and Poorhouse Records
- Using the sources within the National Records of Scotland
- The Register of Sasines & The Retours of Services of Heirs
- Crimes, Courts & Transportation Records
- Occupations, Trade & Crafts Records
- Using Maps for Family History
- Taxation and Customs & Excise Records
- Migration & Immigration Records
- Educational Records
- Name Rich Sources
- Census Returns
- Scottish Regiments, Military & Naval Records
- Wills & Testaments 1513 to 1926
- Monumental Inscriptions
- Nonconformity Records in Scotland (and the history)
- Scottish Heraldry (knowing the basics)
- Websites, Publications & Catalogue
- Family History Societies, Local Study Centres & Organisations
- Recording and storing your research
- Researching in Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland
- The National Archives of England & Wales (TNA)
- Useful Organisations & Societies in England & Wales
If you would like a speaker for your members or a local group please get in touch.
I prepare and deliver workshops for primary school children about the Great War, allowing them also to visit the National Records of Scotland to carry out their own research on an ancestor who was involved in the campaigns. Please get in touch to discuss requirements.
How can I help?
“Get in touch with your enquiry and I'll explain what I can do for you.”