& Private Instruction
I can provide private [evening] instruction within Edinburgh & the Lothians area on three levels (a) Complete Beginner in researching your own family and (b) Searching Sources and (c) Delving Deeper in Genealogy. The hourly rate is £25. Students will be expected to carry out homework exercises – and each lesson will meet the needs and aims of the student. Please get in touch to discuss individual requirements.
Morning/Afternoon Instruction Instruction within the ScotlandsPeople Centre and/or the Historical Search Room at the National Records of Scotland. Please get in touch to discuss individual requirements.
Research Plans can be prepared for clients wishing to carry out their research but need a plan to maximise their time whilst in Edinburgh. These are a step by step process that assist clients in navigating around the indexes and documents within the collections of the National Records of Scotland. Documents are pre-booked to coincide with the client’s visit. These plans can help maximise the effectiveness of a client’s visit to the National Records of Scotland.
I am available as a tutor only on Sat/Sun from April to Nov – either a half day or a full day. Each course would meet the groups requirements, interests, experience and ability. If you are thinking of running a course, please get in touch and discuss your requirements.
Topics can include any combination of the following:
- Old Parish Registers from 1553 to 1854
- Statutory Records from 1855 to present
- Kirk Session & Heritor Records
- Starting a One Name Study
- Starting a One Place Study
- Identifying Record Depositories in Scotland (SPC, NRS, NLS)
- Poor Law Records and Poorhouse Records
- Using the sources within the National Records of Scotland
- The Register of Sasines & The Retours of Services of Heirs
- Crime, Court & Transportation
- Occupations, Trades & Crafts
- Using Maps for Family History
- Taxation and Customs & Excise Records
- Migration & Immigration
- Educational Records & Apprenticeship Indentures
- Name Rich Sources
- Census Returns & Census Substitutes
- Scottish Regiments, Military & Naval Records
- Wills & Testaments 1513 to 1926
- Monumental Inscriptions
- Nonconformity in Scotland
- House Histories
- Scottish Heraldry (knowing the basics)
- Websites, Publications & Catalogue
- Family History Societies, Local Study Centres & Organisations
- Recording and storing your research
- Researching in Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland
- The National Archives of England & Wales (TNA)
- Useful Organisations & Societies in England & Wales...
If you require a speaker for members of a local group, please get in touch.
I have in the past prepared and delivered workshops for primary school children about the Great War, allowing them also to visit the National Records of Scotland to carry out their own research on an ancestor who was involved in the campaigns. Please get in touch to discuss requirements.
How can I help?
“Get in touch with your enquiry and I'll explain what I can do for you.”